Sunday, January 15, 2012

Divine Inheritance



           Zechariah 3:7 "This is what the Lord of Heaven's armies says: 'If you follow Me and My ways and carefully serve Me, then you will be given authority over My Temple and its courtyards. I will let you walk among these others standing 
here.'" When I came across this verse while casually flipping through the Old Testament, it immediately reminded me of what the Lord has promised us all throughout Scripture, not only in the Old Testament but also later revealed in the New Testament.
            Look at this Psalm of David, and try to pick up this theme of "divine inheritance".
"Lord, You alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing. You guard all that is mine. The land you have given me is a pleasant land. What a wonderful inheritance!" (Psalm 16:5-6)

As members of the body of Christ, we have an inheritance waiting for us. I am an heiress to the King and a co-heir with Christ (Galatians 4:1-7). “…now you are no longer a slave, but God’s own child. And since you are His child, God has made you His heir” (v.7). Check out Galatians 3 as well. “…And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise” (v.29).
God has prepared something incredible for us, His children. Our eternal home is more than just a dwelling place for our souls after we leave this earth; it is our time to fulfill the inheritance-to finally meet our King face to face, and to become completely filled with His everlasting Spirit. I love the words David chooses in his Psalm, “You alone are my inheritance, my cup of blessing…” (Psalm 16:5). It is much like a cup of living water, in which we inherit all blessings and fulfillment according to His promise. Then, we will be completely satisfied.
           Until then… Until then, we are called to live as heirs and heiresses of the King. Devoting my life to be a woman of God, I am undeservingly but gratefully an heiress to my King. And because He is my King, I am His princess, so I must live my life according to that title. Just as you men are mighty warriors of God, you are called to imitate Him in every aspect of your life. So, together, men and women of God, let’s live according to the inheritance. Though we do not deserve it, let’s live for it. Live for Him, inherit beauty and blessing, and gratefully praise Him for being King of our hearts.


Guarding Your Inheritance...
         In a letter from Paul to Timothy, He writes him these specific words (instructions, if you will)... "Timothy, guard what God has In a letter from Paul to Timothy, He writes him these specific words (instructions, if you will)… “Timothy, guard what God has entrusted to you” (1 Timothy 6:20). The Lord has entrusted a divine inheritance unto us. We are called to guard it, protect it, value it. We are to hold it in our hearts as a permanent treasure, never letting anything or anyone take it away from us. Many of us are familiar with the wisdom verse in Proverbs 4 that has kept us from much heartbreak (at least from my personal experience), which says, “Guard your heart, above all else, for it is the wellspring of life” (Proverbs 4:23). Not only does Christ live in our hearts, our inheritance rests in there as well. We must guard our hearts with strength and wisdom, accomplished by living a prayerful and righteous lifestyle.